They say you can’t put a price on love, although the average cost of a wedding for Australian couples is $54,294*.
This is up 11% on our last Cost of Love survey, clearly indicating the wedding industry in Australia shows no signs of slowing down.
It was revealed that for most couples, wedding budgets went out the window. The average budget was set at $25,866*, a staggering 48% below what couples actually ended up spending.
Here are a few of the key findings:
- 82% of women are changing their surname with only one in two brides actually excited to be doing so and are doing out of love, not tradition.*
- Parents are now contributing less. 90% of couples dip into their own savings for their big day.*
- 2 in 5 women are willing to give up chocolate or alcohol for a year in order to guarantee their ideal wedding.*
- Traditional bucks nights are now turning into an interstate or overseas getaway, coining the term ‘Buck-cations’
- 1 in 10 women confirmed they will have a cosmetic procedure in the lead up to their big day.*
- 47% of engagements are announced via social media.*
- 1 in 3 couples are opting for a destination wedding.*
*Source: Bride to Be 2012 Cost of Love survey (released March 2013).